Intelligent Life

Sunday, August 4, 2013

C&P Student Example


Creative Piece

Dear Mother,

Life in Australia is harder than people describe it to be. I am different to those who surround me. My community that I have grown up in and how I have been raised are all a tribute to my identity, but I’m 17 and I don’t have a true identity. Being Korean but raised in an all white family has been confusing, I go to a school where I am the only Asian in my class, and that’s been the issue since I started school. Being surrounded by a whole new universe, as it seems, is becoming harder to deal with as I grow older,  I have all the racism drama to think  about, I worry about how I look in the other people’s eyes.

 When my mother her in Australia gets unquestioned about why she has a ‘Chinese daughter’, its not common in Australia for someone to have a child of different culture, it makes me feel aher. My mother here just ignores what people say and tells me to do the same, but how can I when they are constantly staring at me? I feel like such an outsider. I have grown up in Australia my whole life, but I can never seem to find my Australian identity.

Mother has told me stories about how she became my adoption mother and that when I was given to her, just after you gave birth to me, the weather in Pusan, Korea was thirteen degrees below zero. She told me my original name was ‘Soo Joeng’ which I have done some research and found it means ‘crystal’. I have grown to become fond of this Korean name and have chosen to change all my documents with this as my middle name. I would like to find out how you chose this name and why, but I guess I will have to wait to find out one day.

I’m really eager to find you mum, I want to see how you live in Korea, I want to be able to see who I am. Maybe having contact with you, might help me establish my true identity. Just maybe. I also want to understand why you gave me up, and who or what forced you to do so, but how am I supposed to find that information when everyone here is so silent and chooses not to talk about that. It must not be that bad as to why you gave me away, was it because you couldn’t afford a life for me and you? All these questions and no answers. I am a fly in a glass of milk in this town, the only person who sees me as a human is my boyfriend who is Japanese- Australian. He lives in the city of Adelaide and I only get to see him in my spare time, away from school work and when I can get permission. When I am with him though, the world is blocked and it’s just him and I and no one else exists. I wonder if that’s how I will feel when I become into contact with you?

Are you still living in Pusan? I do research on Pusan, and the images I have found on Google images look so serene and calm, with the blossoming trees falling into the courtyards, and the beautiful landscapes, but in one image there is an old woman and her old age has scared me from growing up like that, I can’t imagine myself looking like that, at least I hope not. A  while ago I came across a flyer that was stapled to a tree, written on it was ‘Korean Speech Lessons’, thinking about it I remembered the time back in eighth grade when we were learning about Asian countries and Pusan came into topic and my teacher automatically chose me to do a research assignment on it I didn’t know whether to take it as an insult or a compliment  but as I pronounced it I said ‘Pusan’, it sounded like ‘can’, in such a strong Australian accent, only to be corrected that it’s pronounced Pu’sahn’. I felt a little disappointed in myself that I couldn’t even say my home town name correctly, with this memory I grabbed a pen and paper and contacted the number straight away.

Being a couple weeks on now, the lessons have helped with my connections to Korea and to you. Knowing I can translate what people say to me in Huaguel, it makes me really proud. I will continue with these lessons but I don’t think it will fully help to establish my identity or my feeling of belonging, I think I need to find you and see you, and reunite with you, my Korean birth mother, than maybe, hopefully I can establish my true Korean or Australian identity, just maybe, we’ll see I guess.

Love and miss you mother, from your Australian/Korean daughter

  Blossom Beeby.

                      xx

No comments:

Post a Comment